Many of you have asked us about the Holiday Inn sign. Today, we’re pleased to bring you a guest post exploring the history of this iconic sign by Caroline Mitchell Carrico, Exhibits Design Coordinator at the Memphis Pink Palace Museum. Without further ado, we present the Holiday Inn sign…
In 1951, Memphis businessman Kemmons Wilson took a vacation that changed how Americans hit the road. He drove his family to Washington, D.C. at a time when the quality of roadside accommodations varied greatly at motor courts and independently owned motels. The Wilson family found overpriced, unattractive and cramped roadside lodgings that offered few amenities and charged extra for each child. Kemmons decided to create a motel with a phone in every room, air-conditioning, swimming pool and a restaurant on site where kids would stay for free.
One year later, the first Holiday Inn opened on August 1, 1952, on Summer Avenue. The motel lobby was a bright mixture of hunter green walls, red furniture and chartreuse curtains. The one story buildings were arranged around a pool, rooms were $6 a night and kids did indeed stay for free.
Wilson needed an eye-catching draw to bring motorists to his enterprise so he spoke with Harold Balton of Balton Sign Company. Balton had his in-house artists Gene Barber and Roland Alexander design the original Holiday Inn “Great Sign.” The first sign cost $13,000, and it was Wilson’s only real advertising for his first location. The 50’ tall green and yellow sign featured a yellow arrow with orange bulbs to draw drivers to the hotel office. The marquee had interchangeable letters so that the manager could welcome individuals and groups to the hotel.
Wilson and his business partner Wallace Johnson soon began offering franchise rights. Franchisees invested the capital to put up a hotel according to the Holiday Inn’s corporate specifications for design, service and maintenance. The franchise owner got the right to use the Holiday Inn logo and benefited from national advertising campaigns.
President Eisenhower’s interstate highway system was a boon to the franchise model because potential owners were able to purchase land at new interstate exits to increase their visibility. As the chain expanded, Great Signs went up around the country and became a central aspect of the Holiday Inn brand. By the 1960s, there were over one hundred Holiday Inns.
In 1982, the Great Sign was replaced with a smaller, plain green sign. The company felt that it was an icon of the 1950s that no longer suited their needs. Kemmons Wilson called the decision “a hell of a mistake.”
Caroline Mitchell Carrico is the Exhibits Design Coordinator at the Memphis Pink Palace Museum. She writes about the museum’s collection at www.memphismuseums.wordpress.com.