The New Daisy Theatre opened at 330 Beale Street in 1942. Paul and Sam Zerilla and their partner Joe Maceri, owners of the original Daisy Theatre across the street (now known as the “Old Daisy”), wanted to add a larger facility that could support popular acts. In its first few decades, the New Daisy primarily served as a movie theater with occasional live shows. By the 1970s, it had fallen into disrepair like the rest of Beale Street. Several buildings surrounding the theater were torn down, but the New Daisy and Old Daisy remained.
In the early 1980s, the Beale Street Development Corporation began its revival of Beale. Boxing promoter Mike Glenn leased the New Daisy from the BSDC and began hosting matches there. He also continued to rent out the building for concerts, which eventually drew larger crowds than the boxing. Glenn managed the New Daisy for over 30 years. Having successfully resurrected the theater under adverse civic and economic circumstances, he is widely regarded as one of the saviors of Beale Street. He received a brass note on the Beale Street Walk of Fame in 2010.
Local developers Steve Adelman and J.W. Gibson purchased the New Daisy from Glenn in November 2014 and launched an extensive remodel that was completed last fall. In conjunction with the reopening, the theater announced a partnership with Live Nation that will bring even more national acts to Beale Street.
Nationally known artists who have played the New Daisy include Prince, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, Elvis Costello, Wynton Marsalis, Keith Richards, Foo Fighters, Courtney Love, Smashing Pumpkins, Bonnie Raitt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Justin Timberlake… to name a few. The theater also appeared in the Jerry Lee Lewis biopic Great Balls of Fire.